I like this recipe because of its versatility. You can double the recipe and freeze what you don’t use. You can also add more liquid (water and coconut cream) and make it saucier or add less liquid and make it thicker. I realize it’s summer and some might not want to eat something hot, but after a long day at work, I needed something light and savory with broth. This perfectly hit the spot!
• In this picture, I put the stew over brown rice. You can also put this stew over greens or a baked potato.
• I use organic short grain brown rice. I love the texture of it and find it gives sweetness and a bit of a “bite” to my recipes.
• I used a coconut “cream” in this recipe. Feel free to use any of the vegan products that are out there such as almond milk, coconut milk, hemp milk. The trick is to add it in at the end and to not cook it.
• I rinse the beans after I open the can to make them less “gassy.”
1 large onion chopped
2 beefsteak tomatoes chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 cup water
1 tsp sea salt
1 can organic chick peas rinsed (can use a can of any organic beans, just make sure to rinse them)
1 heaping tbsp. curry powder (or paste)
juice of a lime
1. Place onion in water and simmer until onions are clear.
2. Add in tomatoes, garlic, water, salt. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add in curry powder and stir.
4. Add in chick peas
5. Cook for 5 minutes and turn off heat.
6. Stir in coconut cream and juice of a lime.
Ladle into bowls or pour over brown rice. Enjoy!
Interested in more delicious, healthy recipes that are also family-friendly? Please check out our Balanced Bodies: Vegan Cookbook HERE