Hello to all of you. I am heading back to Baltimore today after spending a week away with my family. I got some amazing and much needed rest as well as natural vitamin D straight from the sun. I did a few things to help support my food choices. I thought I would list some of them for you here in an attempt to give you some ideas of your own.
Rather then immediatly brushing these ideas off as high maintenance, I ask that you remain open and just hear me out. Some will work and some won’t for your particular case, living situation and lifestyle. Just take the ideas that make sense and pocket the rest for later!!
1. I GO TO THE MARKET WHEN I ARRIVE. Whenever possible, I visit a market on the way from the airport to the hotel. There, I will buy everything from water, fruit, good oil and greens!!
2. MAKE A SMOOTHIE OR JUICE. Even if I go out to breakfast, I have “my drink” first. Lately, I have been doing green juices. So, this vacation, I bought some green juice at the market. I admit, not ideal!!! It was pasteurized! But, it did the trick and was useful. To the green juice, I added protein powder. I use PuraDyme, LLC. (contact me if you need a supply!) as it has no flavor and dissolves completely. If you want a vanilla flavor, ask me about Sunwarrior.
3. BUY PLENTY OF WATER. I buy bottles of water to keep in the hotel room. I use this for tea or drinking water throughout the day. Since hotels can charge up to $5 a bottle, I found that I wouldn’t drink the water! Silly me!! Buying my own and storing in the room, totally did the trick!
4. I BRING MY SUPPLEMENTS. Even if I am not perfect with the food, I take my supplements. The digestive enzymes help with any veering off track while the probiotics help with regulating my belly. The herbs and nutrients help keep me balanced and ward off potential cravings.
5. READ AN INSPIRING BOOK. While away, I find it the best time to get inspired for the next level of wellness. I use airplane time to give myself the luxury of learning and getting inspired. Right now, I am reading “Mucusless Diet System.”
6. I SET UP A LITTLE KITCHEN. It just so happens, I have the space in this hotel. This isn’t always an option, I know. For my family though, I bring a little skillet and rice cooker. I am able to do a variety of meals with these two things alone! My husband and daughter love eggs and rice in the mornings. I can quickly whip this up for them and they feel much better throughout the day. Can this always be done? NO! But, think of what you can bring. One of the best things is a little blender to make smoothies. Anything that will give you a solid and real food breakfast is worth the shlep!
7. I BRING MY OWN SALAD DRESSING TO MEALS. You can get greens in just about any restaurant. Having a good salad with any meal will help you digest better and keep you from overeating. It’s true! Try it. A salad really helps keep you in check.
8. GIVE MYSELF A BIT OF SLACK. I am not perfect, I am not a saint. (I know some of you are shocked to hear this!!) I sometimes eat off of my plan. When I do, I forgive myself. I give myself an out and don’t beat myself up. I give myself a bit of flexibility while away from home. What I do though is keep my eyes open. I pay attention to how my body reacts and the symptoms it throws off. I use this as a “teaching moment.”
For more information, or to book a private session, please PM me. Also, look at our Balanced Bodies: the holistic approach to health and weight loss site for cooking classes and the next Balanced Bodies 6 week course.