So, Chinese food (if not prepared properly) is one of the worst, if not THE worst, ethnic food because of all the sauces. In fact, a few years ago, there was a study done, and Chinese came on top in terms of worst amount of fat, calories and other bad stuff. Chinese food is so bad that I try to stay away from it completely. Trouble is, my family loves it. The more you eat, the more you want. It is totally addictive and then you get the hangover after – not pretty, right? Puffy eyes, puffy face, runny nose…and you are still hungry!
So, inside you might understand what is going on, but it is hard to resist. So, this is what I do at Chinese restaurants:
1. I eat boring food; nothing battered, nothing fried, sauce on the side
2. I order veggies
3. I don’t order soups. There is such a high volume of sodium, that I will need a horse carcass to satisfy me after that.
4. I ask for things with NO sugar. There is simple syrup put into just about every dish.
5. I ask for sauce on the side and get it sauteed with only oil.
6. Only have brown rice. Remember white rice turns into sugar immediately and makes you fat. Did you read my blog on that?
7. I never, ever believe that the food is free of MSG. Sure, they might not ADD MSG in anything, but MSG COMES in just about every product in the restaurant. Everything from the soy sauce to the Hoisin sauce has MSG. It comes already mixed, in huge vats, straight to the restaurant’s door.
Does all of that make sense? So, I get string beans or broccoli with cashews and tofu, no sugar, no sauce – only oil. Not as fun, but at least I leave there with my dignity in tact.
But, as you know, because you have been reading my rantings now, all of your cravings, longings and hunger start hours before the meal. Right?!