Can’t get off the sugar?
My sweet and amazing friend has asked me how to give up sugar. She is ready. Well, yippee! She will feel so much better when off the stuff. I know it may sound so annoying to say that to someone, but truly, the addiction to sugar has given us so many physical symptoms, most of us don’t even link it back to the sugar.
But, that’s another story! Let’s talk about HOW to get off of it first. Here are some ideas….
1. Don’t let yourself get hungry. The brain works off of glucose only. If you are hungry, the brain will figure out how to get the quickest sugar possible. You don’t want to let yourself gt to that point.
2. Some crave sugar because the meals themselves aren’t satisfying. Make sure you get PLENTY of greens in the form of salads, broccoli or green smoothies. Fill your plate with veggies that are non starchy and add a bit of protein in.
3. Watch your fats. Make sure the fat you are eating is high grade. Denatured fats like crisco, vegetable oil, fried foods, roasted nuts make you crave sugar!!!
4. Have a great balanced breakfast. Do protein or green smoothie in the morning, or try some miso soup. Stay away from sugary cereals, bagels or english muffins that make you hungrier throughout the day.
5. Have something sweet! Bake an apple, make apple sauce in a blender, eat grapes. Do sweet fruit only after lunch, when you are trying to break the sugar habit, so your blood sugar is stable.
6. Pinpoint when you need the sweetness and find a “treat” for that time. Frozen banana with a bit of almond butter, blueberries, and cashews in a blender, banana ice cream. Satisfy that feeling for a while to get you over that hump.
This is not an easy task, I will not lie. But, do it… get off the “crack” find a better way. You will be amazed at what you learn and how much better you will feel.