I often discourage my clients from eating peanut butter. We often think of it as a comfort food, but think again. Below is a great summary on why we should switch to a “whole and real” nut butter and avoid peanuts completely.
“One of the most concerning toxins associated with peanuts is a mold that produces aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is a known carcinogen associated with liver cancer. Aflatoxin consumption has also been shown to stunt growth in children. Any food that is creating congestion in the liver may potentially impede its important functions, including detoxification and fat-burning.
Why are peanuts so susceptible to toxins? They are actually legumes, and not nuts. While nuts have a hard, protective shell (think about walnut and pecan shells and just how difficult they are to crack), legumes have a soft, permeable pod. Peanuts also grow underground, because they are part of the plant’s root system. Growing underground with a permeable pod leaves peanuts at the mercy of temperature and moisture conditions including warm humidity that allows for the growth of molds. Peanuts can also grow molds during storage, shipping, or even on grocery store shelves if the conditions are right for doing so.
This is true EVEN for organic peanuts or peanut butter, as it is the nature of the peanut itself and doesn’t have to do with pesticides or herbicides.”